Just so we’re clear: I’m the one who initially drew that (no matter how many people stole it later on)…
As you can all probably guess, I’ve never been a law student, and I was very poor at the time I made this, so I’m not the person people are actually angry at. Still, that hasn’t stopped anyone from googling that line, and sending me shitty mail.
I made this drawing+line 2 years ago as I started my recovery process from PTSD and severe clinical depression, both conditions aggravated by the fact that I have a history of being physically abused, sexually abused, and raped.
I made this blog because I wanted to track how I was doing because I was doing so badly that I basically needed to be monitored to make sure I wouldn’t attempt anything that might hurt me. I gave a link to a few friends and told them if I didn’t post for more than 2 days in a row, it meant they should check on me because I really wasn’t doing well.
On the day I drew this specific drawing, I had almost no strength. I could barely get out of bed, so I couldn’t draw much. Still, I wasn’t feeling suicidal and I didn’t have any desire to harm myself, so I knew I had to draw something so my friends wouldn’t worry for nothing. What I meant when I drew that was “things will get better. until then here is a drawing of a cat” doodle “Right now, I’m only capable of producing this tiny drawing, but I’m not in a dark place. There is hope that things will be better for me one day. There’s no need to check on me today.”
I wasn’t trying to make some big mental health awareness thing. I was just trying to be okay, and let my friends know if I needed help or not. Do you know how many followers I had at the time? 4.
Literally 4. How the hell could I have known that not only people other than my friends would see it, but it would get reblogged and reposted all over the internet? That quote was never meant for others. People just took it, and blamed me for it.
In the past 2 years, I have gotten literally hundreds of hate mail, death threats and rape threats because of that (and many more for other drawings), and honestly, fuck that. And now something that I wrote is on a “shit rich kids say” blog? REALLY?
I couldn’t even afford to eat when I made that drawing because I was literally too sick to work, and as a result, I had no damn money. There is nothing rich where that statement came from. And yeah, I get that I’m not the law student who made a “mental health awareness” poster of my doodle, and I’m not the one people actually want to ridicule… but here’s the thing: I’m the one who has to deal with the death threats and rape threats from shitty people who read the “one day things will get better” line out of context, and decide to punish the “ignorant” person who came up with that quote, and I have to deal with the relapses and the panic attacks that can happen as a result of those threats.
I love this blog, and 99% of people are amazingly nice to me (to the point where it makes me excited about people and the universe), and I’m so happy that I’m in a much better place than I was 2 years ago, but sometimes, the way that the other 1% of people treats me really sucks.
Tomorrow, I’ll wake up and feel nothing else than happiness about this blog. I’ll let all the shit go, and focus on doing whatever I can to make the world a slightly happier place, but tonight, it’s hard.
my cheese is copyrighted
me: *explaining various relationship formats to a classmate*
classmate: wait, what's polyamory?
me: well, it's when someone has more than one intimate relationship at a time with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved.
professor: *overhears from front of class*
professor: that is d i s g u s t i n g
me: *defensively* um, actually, no it's--
professor: how DARE they put a greek prefix on a latin root like that?! What right do they have to decimate my beautiful antiquated languages?!?! GREEK AND LATIN DO NOT FRATERNIZE THIS IS LIKE THAT STUPID ROMANTIC SUBPLOT BETWEEN THAT DWARF AND THAT ELF IN THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!
professor: it should be polyerosy